Sunday 19 July 2009

Unlocking Phones

I got 2 phones which are locked to T-Mobile. So, each time I went back to Malaysia, I need to borrow my sister's spare phone (which was mine).

At first I thought, unlocking phones is illegal. We can buy phones from a certain network, much cheaper (but with a logo..well, mine got no logo) than the sim-free ones, then unlock it with a price about 10 to 20 pound.

So, this could save us some money but not the network companies. So, it should be illegal, the companies wouldn't agree about this.

But seems I was wrong.

So, I 'google'ed for a couple of times, searching for some options. So, these what I got.

1. Call the network company and told them you are not going to use that network anymore, and you need a PIN number to unlock. (But I guess you need to insert the same number each time you change the sim card)

2. Contact any company on web, send them your phone, pay the price, then wait for them to send it back. You need to wait for a week or so.

3. Go to Ebay, buy a special clip for unlocking phones, download a software, and do it on your own, IF you are a computer geek. Don't take any risk.

4. Go to a mobile phone shop and let the expert do it for you. I doubt to do this first, because if you leave your phone, for a day for example, the guy can secretly change the components in your phone with fake ones, and because the things are in your phone, you wont notice this until it stops working abruptly. Not a problem if your phone is not an original one though.

So, I took the last option, after the shop keeper told me, all will be done in 5 minutes, and the price is £10. Great!! I believe that's the cheapest that I can find. I think in Malaysia, this will cost the cheapest RM50. It's about the same price here.

So, that's it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I unlocked my mobile phone still safer using unlock code. I got the unlock code and unlocking guide for my Blackberry mobile phone from UnBBLock.com at affordable cost. It was very simple.