Monday 24 January 2011

Anatomy...........Pening!

Noticed that I've changed my profile photo again? I just think that photo suits me well. Hehe...

So, what about anatomy? I have a subject called Anatomy and Physiology this semester. My lecturer said, the things that we are learning is just the surface of what first year medic students are learning. Okay... so?

It happens that my first elective is Physical Education, so what I am learning now is important; first to get the degree, and second because I might need to teach PE other than Science in school. So, I think it is very essential subject. Plus, you can learn more about something which is out of our field.

But I happen to be not really good in memorizing things. I am usually clueless about this subject, plus last year's biology lesson was like hell and it can't help me at all now. So, when there is work to do, I'm always raging and in stress; I need to work harder than everybody else. It is not good for my health though; I'm always having severe headache now.

So Mak, I'm really not suitable to be a doctor. Hehe..

Ija and me was discussing about 'Powerpoint slideshow' just now. What we were agreeing is, having a complete set of points and explanation in the slides are not a correct way of using the slideshow because students are just concentrating in copying the notes, not listening to the explanation of the lecturers. Most students don't even give their attention to the class, but doing their own work because they know they will get the softcopy of the slides. And to their advantage, the slides are complete with the explanation too. So, everything looks like spoon feeding.

We are missing that the slideshow suppose to contain just the keywords. Too may words on the slides can confuse the readers, especially to pick up the important points. The slides are as aid, not a displayed version of books.

Another way of teaching which we think is good is by discussing with the students about the topics. Train the students to think, be critical, to speak ideas out and discuss. We learnt in pedagogy that teaching should include hands-on and minds-on. So, I believe that increasing the students' contribution in class is one effective way of learning, and make people less sleepy in class.

Okay, I'm not condemning anybody. It is just a piece of our thinking, and I like to share with everybody. It's for everyone's good too.

So, I still have a bit to finish my anatomy report. Writing things like this somehow easing my mind. Gotta go!

No comments: